Crib Mattress Buying Guide – What You Need to Know Before You Buy One
Choosing a crib mattress might look like an easy job, but it does require plenty of thoughts and consideration. A baby sleeps for almost eighteen hours, and thus it is important to choose a perfect mattress for them. The following tips would help you select the best fit.
- Foremost, one must always opt for mattress specifically made for babies. It is very easy to ask any mattress maker to make a mattress for the baby’s crib. However, one must never use an adult mattress or too soft a mattress for babies as both are not good for them. Baby’s mattress normally has one side firm and the other softer.
- No matter what kind of type of mattress you choose; quality should not be a parameter you compromise with. It is more advisable to pay a slightly higher price and opt for a better quality mattress.
- Next, you need to decide on the type of mattress. Generally, there is a mattress made of foam, organic type and innerspring. Each has its own pros and cons. You should research each and then opt for one that best suits you and your baby.
- The size of the mattress is the next important consideration. A smaller mattress can leave the baby vulnerable to get hurt by the frame of the crib while a larger one can suffocate the child. Thus, the right fit is of utmost importance. Ideally, the space between the side of the mattress and the crib frame should not be more than two fingers space.
- It is always advisable to buy a crib first and then the mattress. It moves helps you get the right size with no room for any error.
- The thickness of the mattress is another important Ideally, it should not be thicker than six inches.
- Opt for a mattress that has a breathable waterproof cover, preferably of cotton. It is not only comfortable for the child but also protects the mattress from the inevitable spills, bed wetting, etc.
- All baby mattresses have vents for proper air circulation. It not only promotes better airflow for enhanced comfort to the baby but also allows all moisture to escape and prevents molds, mildews, etc. from mushrooming in the mattress. A quality mattress would have specially constructed vents.
- It is always better to choose a mattress that is labeled as a 2-stage crib mattress. The reason for choosing them is that both sides of the mattress can be used for the baby at different stages of his development. Its one side is firmer which is ideal for toddlers and the other side soft for infants.
Safety and comfort should always be the prime considerations of choosing the mattress.